Sunday, November 11, 2007

Random Babbling

There's something about Bong songs that have a separate power about them. They seem to capture emotion much better than any English songs around (barring Dylan, of course, but he speaks of thoughts more than emotions). Although I had an avowed apathy to Bengali ever since I first had it as a subject in school, I now find myself amazed at the sort of effect listening to these songs are having on me.
Bengalis are, by their nature, an intellectual lot...and they are very romantic at heart. Although this romantic quality doesn't find much expression in the public eye, anyone who has read Bengali poems or heard our songs will readily agree with this statement I make. Bengali songs seem to capture emotions very well with their words and in their melody.
However, I'm not ust restricting this to my own mother tongue. The only other songs I find equally expressive and powerful are old Hindi songs, a la Kishore Kumar and Mohammad Rafi. In their voices, one feels the emotion flowing - and that has a tremendous impact on the listener. It's something that is missing in later songs, which makes one doubt the sincerity of emotion in our times, causing artificial expression.
Love is not just comprised of happiness and despondency. It is a bittersweet emotion...and for songs writing about such a powerful emotion, you need to have an understanding of its bittersweet nature. Somehow, I feel that in our times, we have lost the ability to truly love...we don't feel the sincere emotion of love nowadays.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

the truth is that as songs get older,they tend to get a certain charm about them...

6:00 PM  
Blogger Reeti said...

It's nice to hear someone saying that love is indeed an emotion that has ceased to be oft-felt.In other circumstances,I would've dispatched of this thought as mindless banter,but from your post it seems that you say this with a lot of feeling.I think what happens to people is not so much the fact that they don't love-I think once they're hurt,they get disillusioned.And some people are well,just indifferent.

8:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home