Thursday, February 15, 2007

V-Day

The travesty that is Valentine's Day has passed by without much incident, thankfully. This is one day which I certainly don't look forward to, and I don't think that will change anytime soon.
You may wonder why is it that I speak ill of Valentine's Day. You may think that it is simply the grousings of someone alone on this day. Indeed, that's what most would think since most don't have even an inkling of the person I am. That's why they would jump to conclusions.
In fact, the reason why I despise Valentine's Day is because of the sheer pretence of it. It's nothing more than a charade, and that's why I despise it. People make it out to seem like a celebration of love, but in reality it is simply a celebration of the pretence of love. False gestures and false words are never more prevalent than on this day.
It takes more than a day, and more than a few roses and more than a poem or two to celebrate love. But for those who simply pretend to be in love, they will never understand this. For them, it is simply the illusion of being in love which is enough. I can't stand such self-delusion.
That's why I despise Valentine's Day. However, I don't let my personal dislike of this day get in the way of others enjoying it...and thus, I do send greetings on this day. Never the "Happy Valentine's Day" crap, but yeah, "greetings on the occasion of Valentine's Day".
You may think this is weird or even funny, but that's the way I think. I don't really care about what your point of view on it is, because it doesn't affect the way I think.

2 Comments:

Blogger rhea said...

Thank God you don't acre what I think... but it's true. it is a travesty of the horriblest thought. And the irony of the whole thing ? I was born on the day. Lucky me.

9:48 PM  
Blogger Soheni Arora said...

I appreciate the beautiful and supremely accurate use of the words 'Ttavesty' and 'Charade'! Who the F*** came up with this ridiculous, frivolous "Celebration" anyway?

6:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home