Sunday, January 20, 2008

These days

Exams have been on, and with the exception of a very pathetic Business Mathematics paper, all the exams have gone quite well for me, considering that firstly I don't really care about the exams and secondly it doesn't really matter how I do and so haven't been studying.
I've seen two bloody brilliant plays of late...Tim Supple's A Midsummer Night's Dream and Red Curtain's The Proof. I was really impressed by both and it's these kind of plays that make me wonder when I shall be able to perform such amazing plays. A Midsummer Night's Dream was undoubtedly the finest play I've ever seen, for it's sheer brilliance in vision. The sets, the staging, the acting...everything about it made a grand and fantastic performance for all. The Proof was also great, and I really liked the acting of Kabir Seth and Niharika Seth.
Music will never be too far from my life, whether it's ISC or anything else coming up before me. Abar Bochor Tirish Pore, the Remembering Mohiner Ghoraguli concert which was held in Kolkata recently, was just fantastic. I went for a few of their rehearsals, but nothing could compare to the concert itself. The Philharmonic Orchestra, the band, the various singers, Hiron Mitra's live art and Abraham Mazumdar's brilliance all came together for a mindfuckingly brilliant show. My friend Bhaskar sang the song "Shattala Bari" and part of "Chaya Ghera"...among other singers there was Anindyo Bose, Pota, Ritika Sahni, Antara, Rupam Islam, Dibya Mukhopadhyay, Deb Chowdhury, Sayantan Neogi, Sayak, Anjan Dutt, Upal and Anindyo of Chandrabindoo, Madhushree Mazumdar and MC Ranjon Ghoshal. Tanmoy Bose's Baul Jazz group provided an interlude, as did the band Chandrabindoo. Anjan Dutt sang his own composition, Ekti Ghoraar Gaan, written for Gautam Chattopadhyay, the founder of Mohiner Ghoraguli. The show began with a mindblowing performance of "Hai Bhalobashi" by all singers together and ended with another brilliant song, "Prithibi", again sung by all the singers together. Actor Jisshu Sengupta played the drums for "Prithibi" and he was quite good, to my surprise. Among the highlights of the show was "Akashe Chorano" sung by Dibya Mukhopadhyay, "Telephone" sung by Pota, "Ei Muhurte" sung by Anindyo with Sayak and "Aw. Oo. Baw" sung by Anindyo, Ronjon, Sayantan and Sayak. Sayantan Neogi, better known as the lead singer of Insomnia, sang well for "Runway" and other songs, and even played the Double Bass for one song. Overall, it was a concert to remember.
Haven't been able to hang out at Poddo's for too long these days, and haven't been to my favourite place for a very long time now. Well, I suppose I don't have to wait for too long for normal life to resume. Till such time, I'm still surviving.
"Parina parina keno bujhite
Ey ki propanchor Maya
Ey bishoroop dekhe,
Chup kore thaki jodi
Ami Nehati behaya..." - Ei Muhurte

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

in many of yopur blogs you talk about "baul" who is he.....anyways poddo is going to be pissed about your maths paper...lol...

12:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

shayak. how are u? it was great reading ur blog which i randomly chanced upon while surfing about school randomly. hope ur doing well. hope ur last days in school and isc exam preparations are goin well. take care and keep in touch. also tell poddo i said hi...billu

1:43 PM  
Blogger Trish. said...

I didn't really like A Midsummer's Dream all that much, you know.
It was a brilliant visual spectacle and very creatively done, but it was too...contrived.

9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home